Sunday 6 April 2014

Home made play dough

 Playing with play dough is one of the ways recommended to help kids develop their fine motor skill and hand-eye coordination, which is an important element in learning to write. I learned about this fact from my son's school, in the notes slipped in his folder, suggesting the ideas for developing fine motor skills and hand-eye co-ordination.




We can easily purchase ready made play dough from toy shops or alternatively make it by ourselves.
I have tried making play dough using the recipe below once...(I cannot remember exactly when, but it was somewhere last year). It turned out so well. Today, I am making it again for my kids.

Play dough recipe

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups plain flour (all purpose)
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
  • Up to 1.5 cups boiling water (adding in increments until it feels just right) - in my case, 1 cup of water turned out perfect
  • food colouring (optional) - I used gel food colouring
  • few drops glycerine (optional- adds more shine!) - I didn't put
Method:
  • Mix the flour, salt, cream of tartar and oil in a large mixing bowl
  • Add the boiling water
  • Stir continuously until it becomes a sticky, combined dough
  • Add the food colouring and glycerine (both optional)
  • Allow it to cool down then take it out of the bowl and knead it vigorously for a couple of minutes until all of the stickiness has gone. * This is the most important part of the process, so keep at it until it’s the perfect consistency!*
  • (If it remains a little sticky then add a touch more flour until just right)



It is time to play, play and play!



No comments:

Post a Comment